Please WELCOME A New Member, Jean (1991)

Please WELCOME A New Member, Jean (1991)

Call me a heretic, but I bought my '91 for $800 with completely deflated
air ride.  I put $2400 into the car to make it my daily driver, using donor
parts from a junkyard K-car to convert the air suspension to struts and
coils.  If I'd spent another $2400 I could have had all new air ride, but
that wasn't in the budget.  Two reasons these cars go to Imperial heaven
are the suspension and the A604 (aka Asux04) transmission.

Do the conversion.  I had my conversion done in a shop and it cost about
$800.  Almost all of that is labor.  DIYers spend between $150 and $200.
The car will ride great.  I have no problems cornering or stopping.  Here
are some links, and Brad Hogg can tell you all about it.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/airshocks.html (describes your options)

http://www.allpar.com/fix/airshocks2.html (highly technical involving some
fabricating)

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1990/Brad/Repairs/index.htm#rearshocks (for
normal people)

Front struts are straight bolt on from a Dynasty or other compatible K-car.
If you drive like I do, consider a strut tower brace.  There isn't one
specifically for our cars, but there is one that's close (Neon, I think)
that can be adapted.

Have fun,

David
'91 K-Imperial driver
'66 Crown Coupe project
'66 Newport 383 .030 over Eddys/Hurst/Cragars daughter's first Mopar

                      "Rob McCall"

                      <Rob_Mopar@xxxxxxxxxxx>         To:
                      Sent by:                        cc:

WELCOME A New Member, Jean (1991)
                      ialclub.com

                      08/26/2004 07:22 PM

                      Please respond to

                      mailing-list

Jean,

I don't know if this is sacrilege here, but there is an aftermarket coil
spring replacement available to remove the airbag system.  A buddy of mine
just installed it in his father's Imperial.  I think his is a '91.  I'll
check with him for the details if you think that is an avenue you would
like to explore.  I haven't ridden in or driven the car, but I was told the
ride is just as nice as it was with the air suspension (when it worked).

Rob McCall
'67 LeBaron
'68 Barracudas