starting problems

Fix the wiring harness first.  If there is melted plastic there, you know
it's bad and it could be causing the other problems. Then go from there.
Carb is probably fine, but you may have a choke problem.  Much like my "new"
'82, you have a lot of issues. Start eliminating the problems one at a time
and some of the other problems may disappear.

Don't worry, new problems will pop up. For instance, once I knew I could get
the car to start 100% of the time the back half of my exhaust fell off. A
laugh a minute! ;)