80's starting problems

The converted cars are basically standard 318 powered cars such as the New
Yorker or 5th Avenue from the early to mid 80s.  Thus they have their own
set of problems, but most of those are due to the limitations of carburetion
(and the "spark control") in that era brought about by epa rules.
Typically, they are somewhat balky in cold weather, and they don't produce
the mileage of the EFI cars.  They are certainly easier to keep running, as
just about all mechanics are very familiar with the cars.

The EFI cars have advantages some of us are pleased with, and we are willing
to put up with the possibility of service problems due to the dealer and
other mechanics not being at all familiar with the cars.  The usual defense
against these problems is to learn how to keep them running ourselves.  In
my experience (I've had 3 EFI cars and one converted car), the occasional
frustrating problem is well worth the extra effort it sometimes involves.

As for durability and reliability, I'll cause a storm of protest with the
following, but in my experience, the EFI cars, once straightened out, are
rock solid reliable - we've driven ours all over the country and never had a
breakdown on the road.  And we've never had to deal with a screwed up
carburetor or a stuck choke either.

Also, we've enjoyed 23 MPG plus (sometimes 25, and on one occasion, I got
way better than that, in an attempt to see just how good it would do - at 50
MPH on cruise,  admittedly slightly downhill, and perhaps with a slight
tailwind, I carefully topped up in Carson City NV, then drove to Fallon NV,
topped up again, both times letting the automatic click-off stop the pump -
I got 44 MPG!)

But usually on trips, I drive between 75 and 80 MPH, and I average about
22-23 - this includes quite a bit of mountain driving, but very little city
driving.  Around town, I average about 18.

Now, I'll duck!

Dick Benjamin