1955 Inner door handle/ was '54 door handle

1955 Inner door handle/ was '54 door handle

There is no set screw. There is a square spring clip that seats in a groove in
the shaft that the handle attaches to. To release the handle, the clip must be
pushed out of the groove. On one side of the car you would push up on the
spring clip, on the other side you would push down on it. The clip is fastened
to the inside of the handle and comes off with the handle. This can be done
with a small screw driver, but the best way is with the tool made by the
factory to do the job. I have only seen one of these. Using a screw driver
could result in some scratches to the escutheon plate if you are not careful.
Most of them are pretty chewed up already from attempts made by others before.

I don't know about '54. I have always thought that this system was unique to
'55 & '56.

Paul