Odometer roll back

A couple questions:

Don't a lot of speedos have a blackout feature if tampered with?
Would it not be easier to simply advance the 'new' speedo to the correct
mileage?  I have heard of this being done with a drill, but I don't know
if this is myth or not, or if going in reverse works.

I don't really think it's a crime to change a new speedo to show the
correct mileage for the car.  This is actually a really honest thing to
do.  Changing a speedo that accurately tells the mileage of the car to
show a lower mileage  may not be illegal on an old car, but is certainly
cretinous.  All told, it doesn't really matter what new the speedo says
as long as it's well documented.  My car does not have the original
speedo, it was replaced by the original owner.  However, he used the car
as his business car, and so the number of kms on the old speedo, and the
new speedo when it went in were noted in a log book and service
receipts, so I do know how many miles/kms are on the car.  For me,
having a newer speedo (the 'new' one was from a 78, while my car is a
76) actually does me a favour since the 76 speedo was only in miles and
the 78 has km/hr as the primary unit, meaning no head math or little
stickers for me.

I do agree with Paul though, the most frequent mileage misrepresentation
is when people claim that the odometer has never rolled over.  I have
seen more than a few cars that had definitely rolled over at least once,
sometimes twice (either that, or the owner made a point of parking it in
a pool of saltwater and buffing the interior with sandpaper), even
though the sellers claimed that they hadn't.  I try to give these
sellers the benefit of the doubt and believe that they are just
incredibly daft, and not out to screw someone, but sometimes it's hard
to convince myself.  Whether or not it has rolled over is easier to
distinguish on a car whose odometer is in miles.  There is a much larger
difference in condition between 70 000 miles and 170 000 mi, than
between the same numbers in km.  It can sometimes be hard to tell if the
car has been driven more, or had a hard life.  Then again, a lot of
people buy an old car based on condition, not mileage.

James