How safe is our Old imp in traffic

Dear Viljar,

Don't worry too much about the safety issues of driving your new '71.  First of
all, there are two sides to the question of safety: the passive and the active.

The "passive" is the side that most people think of when they think of safety,
that is, the vehicle's ability to take an impact and how well it protects its
occupants during that impact.

However, there is also the concept of "active safety," which is the ability to
foresee and avoid an accident in the first place.  This has more to do with
visibility, handling, brakes, and the driver's skills more than anything else.

So I guess my point is, if you are a good driver and practice active safety,
you are better off than a driver who pays little attention and counts on the
strength of the car to protect him.  I have found that most people who own and
drive old cars are FAR better drivers than people who strictly drive new cars,
simply because they are much more aware of the road and try to avoid damaging
their babys as much as possible!

The other thing is, your '71 was as safe as, or safer than, any car made in
1971.  You can't really expect it to live up to 2004 standards.  But that
doesn't mean you shouldn't drive it, just drive it with caution.

Last, in terms of who "wins" in a collision, nobody really wins, but who comes
away with the fewest injuries depends on a lot of different factors.  If you
are in a small car and an SUV hits you head on, the much higher SUV will have a
tendency to climb up over the front of your steeply sloped, very aerodynamic
front end and end up in your lap.  That is not going to happen in a 1971
Imperial.  There's a lot of steel to go through before they get to you.

But as I understand it, in every collision there are really 3 collisions:

the collision b/n the 2 vehicles
the collision b/n you and the interior of your car
the collision b/n your internal organs and the inside of your body (your brain
slamming into the inside of your skull-- yeeouch!)

I think your Imperial will do well in category one, but not as well in category
2.  However, in '71 you should have both a seat belt, a lap belt, and padded
dash, padded steering wheel, collapsible steering wheel, etc., so you are
better off than people think.

I just wouldn't worry about it.  Drive sensibly and wear your belts and you'll
be okay.

Mark