90s Imperial: A604 shift points

on 04/06/04 16:42, David.Whitney@xxxxxxxx at David.Whitney@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello, fellow Imperial lovers --
>

> My '91 Imperial's transmission ALWAYS shifts from 2nd to 3rd at
> 40mph. Uphill, downhill, WOT or coasting, shift lever in drive or
> overdrive, does
> not matter.
>
> For example, yesterday morning I floored it at the foot of the freeway
> onramp. 1st to 2nd at about 30mph and in the power band for further
> acceleration. Then, at 40mph, bleahh! down to 3rd at low rpm and no torque
> to speak of.  Once I continue accelerating, I have a smooth shift into OD
> between 60 and 75, depending on RPMs.  I can kick down to 3rd between 60
> and 65, accelerate uphill and shift into OD no problem.  I drive this car
> about 300-500 miles per week, and this is my only complaint about the
> transmission (knock on wood).
>
> I bought the car used. It has 150K+ miles on it and was
> recently fully flushed including cooler lines and got a fresh filter
> and a new pan, refilled with 7176 fluid, of course. The previous
> owner had been using ATF3. My trustworthy mechanic and his
> assistant, who worked for Chrysler for 30 years, said it looked good
> inside.
>
> Since this only happens between 2nd and 3rd I am ruling out problems
> involving ignition, blocked exhaust or improper A/F supply.
>
> Manual shift using the gear shift lever is not an option on this
> transmission.  You get 1st only, 1st/2nd/3rd or 1st/2nd/3rd/OD in the
> three forward positions.
>
> I think something in the transmission control module software is stuck on
> this shift point no matter what the conditions.  Could a TCM upgrade help
> me? Or is the computer trying to tell me it's the beginning of the end?

David,

I haven't tested all the conditions that you mention but I did notice that
my 93 also shifts around 40 mph and I lose torque as well. I would have to
test it carefully, but after putting some 5,000 miles so far, I haven't
noticed this behavior. Like I said, I did notice similar behavior, but it
doesn't seem as bad as you seem to describe it.

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software                mailto:laurentdaudelin@xxxxxxxxxxx