Design flaws/improvements

I'll be brave and will step on the holy grail; I've found a way to improve on my '63 Crown's interior door handle design. The two pieces, the chromed cast handle part, and the stamped part that pinches down on the door mounted post, are held together by a roll pin. After a few decades of use, the stamped piece will spread out from it's normal dimension, thereby allowing one side of the piece to come away from the roll pin. This makes for a loose fit, and to my estimation, could cause enough play to keep the door from opening. All four of my handles had one end of the roll pin loose.

I bought a $20 rivet gun and a supply of long, 5/32'' (4mm) wide rivets. I removed the original roll pin, then compressed the stamped piece back to it's original dimension and popped in a rivet. This size of rivet fits snug and made for a very solid fit on the post.

On another design flaw subject, my '63s dashboard's 2 switch pods on the left side, for the lights and wipers, have a deformation in the conical shape of the pod that forms the switch housing. The right 2 are fine, but its obvious that the mould for the left two was deformed at the time of the pour for this cast piece. For trivia sake, I'd be interested if others have noticed this and when this mould started pumping out deformed dash parts.

Eric
'63 Crown Four-Door
'72 Newport Custom Sedan