still have '59 problems

Bill, how is your gas tank?  I had similar idling problems and it turned out
my tank was rusted and spitting rust and sediment into the carb.  I put an
additional (temporary) glass filter in the line and you would not believe
the junk that must have been running through the engine.  Usually the
sending unit to the gauge is the first thing to go when the rusty tank
process begins.

Good luck,
Rob

>From: Imperial59crown@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: IML: still have '59 problems
>Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 00:04:59 EDT
>
>Thanks Steve for your rapid reply. The car was still hot so I ran down and
>tried to turn the fan, but it would not budge, so I guess that's a good
>thing. I
>did take the air cleaner off earlier to look at the carb, and noticed that
>the valve in the front section was wide open, which it usually is not. I
>also
>got the car to start, and got it out of its parking spot when it died on
>me, and
>I could not get it restarted, which is either the carb, or it is out of gas
>again. The gauge does not work, but I set the miles to 0 each time I fill
>it
>up, and usually fill up when it is getting close to 200 miles. I haven't
>been
>driving it lately except around my condo complex, and it only has 36 miles
>since
>the last fill up. I doubt anyone is siphoning it out, but could it idle
>away
>that much gas? It has been idling a lot since it needs to reach around 160
>degrees before it will run properly. I have about a gallon down in the
>garage
>which should get me down the hill to the gas station, but I'm pretty worn
>out
>tonight with all the running around, and I had to get a neighbor to help me
>push
>it back into it's spot, which was a slight uphill slope. That made my
>Nissan
>feel like a go cart. I seriously think I should have the carb rebuilt,
>because
>when I messed around with it, the car has never run properly since. I still
>love it in spite of it all, I just want to take it on cruises and to work
>again.
>I exchanged my old booster at Karps for a brand new deluxe model with a
>gold
>anodized front and rear which looks great with the gold air cleaner. It
>came
>to a grand total of $365.00 if anyone on the list is interested.
>
>Bill '59 Crown

Getting married? Find tips, tools and the latest trends at MSN Life Events.
http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=married