Points in '59 413's

I need to be careful here because I realize that you know exactly what you are
talking about.

My point was that as a result of the points being bad or damaged, the engine
could become seriously "out of tune" which could lead to spark knocking. I
didn't say that it necessarily would spark knock. I apologize if that was
unclear.

I don't believe that there was a disclosure as to the exact nature of wear on
the point set. Were the contacts themselves burned? Had the rubbing block worn
prematurely, causing the gap to close? What symptoms lead to the discovery of
the bad points?

Bad points can cause the engine to misfire. A misfiring engine could knock,
although not necessarily under the same circumstances or for the exact same
reasons (advanced timing, for example) as most of us immediately associate with
spark knocking.

Also, if the engine wasn't running correctly, an excess heat condition could
result, which then could in turn lead to a spark knocking condition.

In the case of this particular car, based on other posts describing other
issues about it, I am betting that the spark knocking is related to a lean fuel
problem. Obviously though, since I am not there, that would just be another
"guess".

Paul