Ecologically correct/economically disasterous- my rant

Ecologically correct/economically disasterous- my rant

I think the reason our economy hinges so much on the auto industry is because
of the residuals the auto industry has to offer.  The finance and insurance
sector benefit from this in a big way, after market manufacturers, labor
unions,lobbies, and of course, big oil.

Then there is that romantic notion of the flying cars of the future.  Remember
all of those various and sundry magazine articles foretelling the future of
transportation?
As I look at the average driver who drives a car that is five years old or
older, I can't bear to think how that kind of maintenance would work on a
flying machine!
The FAA would probably become the nation's largest bureaucracy trying to
watchdog everything automotive!  LOL.
(No wonder the Chrysler Turbine concept was scrapped.  Can you imagine the ill
effects of bad maintenance on something that is spinning at 40K or so RPM's?)

But that aside, I am in agreement to the fact that the average person does not
want to be bothered with the maintenance, much less the knowledge, of keeping
their technological trappings intact.  On the same tangent, this is why a
majority of consumer electronic equipment is also "throw away". Much of the
electronic gadgetry out there is all proprietary, designed with application
specific integrated circuits (ASIC's).  It's cheaper, it protects the
manufacturer from plagiarism by the competition, and it limits the amount of
repair that is available several years down the road. (Especially when the ASIC
manufacturer decides to make that chip package obsolete)

Of course, when the consumer is much happier with a cheaper price for an item,
than for the quality of the item, this forces what I see as a downward spiral
of quality and overall expectations.  Manufacturers get bullied by retailers to
cut their costs, so manufacturers begin to scramble in order to save their
margins.  First by reducing the material cost(which in turn reduces the overall
quality) of the product, then by shipping the labor to a foreign market.  The
bar has been lowered.  Somehow, this doesn't seem to apply with the automotive
market though.  People seem perfectly happy
paying on the average 32K for a new car or truck!  And they don't even wink
when they finance it over a six or seven year period! (This is the part where
the insurance and finance sectors make their killing)

I may be going in all directions here with my rant, but it was all to set a
platform for my following thought; the Packard Corporation.  When I think of
quality and consumer satisfaction, I always think of Packard.  Grant it, they
were already in the history books for ten years by the time I was born, but
they left a legacy and an example. Based on my grandfather's accounts when he
worked there as an engineer, Packard enjoyed the highest customer loyalty of
any motor car built in the world - even to this date.  (About 90% retention,
and some of those customers were even from foreign lands!)  It was very common
for generations of families to all have Packards in their driveways to the
exclusion of everything else.  Why?  Service, and customer commitment.  Plus
the fact that they built a damned good car too.  Did you know that if you were
good with a wrench and needed to do something to your Packard, you could drive
it into a dealership and borrow their tools and garage?  That's right.  Only
Packard dealerships had "guest garage area
s" where you could pull up in your car, do whatever you need to do, borrow the
tools (and know how too because they had a full time mechanic on duty for
assistance) and buy the spares right there.  That's service!
Can you imagine doing that today?  Automotive dealerships and their
manufacturer mothership, are like a bunch of paranoid insecure folks, acting
like we are all out to steal their livelyhood when we figure out how to fix
something.

I worked for the automotive industry for a few years in my engineering career.
And it left me with a very bitter taste.  As much as I love cars, I move on to
leave that chapter behind me.  It is the most cut throat business I have ever
been involved in.  Corporate espionage exists at many levels on just about
everything, and there is as much reverse engineering (of the other guy's stuff)
as there is design engineering for many different parts.  No wonder the stuff
looks so cookie cutter eh?

Yes, sadly the Packards and Pierce Arrows of yesterday could never survive
today.  People could never appreciate them for what they represent in the first
place!

Just a little side note, my grandfather switched to driving Imperials after
Packard took a nose dive in 56.  He always admired Chrysler and their "spirit
of innovation" as he used to tell me.  He passed away in 1978, leaving behind a
beautiful 1972 LeBaron (Which was totalled by my hot rodding brother back in
'80).

Chris Middlebrook
62 Custom Southampton