Check you fan belts!

Paul. this happened to my 68 LeBaron twice.  In both cases, it was high speed
that triggered the failure, even though the second time I had brand new high
quality belts.  Because of the high engine speed (4000 rpm plus, lets not say
how many mph that is on 3rd gear) the failed water pump belt damaged the other
belts as well.  After the second failure, I was worried there must be something
wrong with something, but it has not happened again.  When I had this failure
the second time, I had no replacement belts, but it was real late at night on a
cold November night (about 35-40, that's cold for Austin).  The trick to make
it home was to wait a bit until the car cooled down, and then hit the freeway
at over 85-90.  As long as you have a decent "air" speed, the wind through the
radiator would get the fan spinning, which would spin the water pump and
restore coolant circulation (it would also make a great excuse to the police
officer: "I had to drive over 90 to keep my engine cool!").  My appartment is
only 1.0-1.5 miles from the freeway, but as soon as the speed droped, the fan
stopped.  So this last 1.5 miles was done with 2-3 stops and about 20-30 minute
cooling time in between with hood open.

D^2, 2x68

Quoting RandalPark@xxxxxxx: