bonding rubber -- age issues

I am under the impression that rubber (which in most cases is really a synthetic compound) is due to the loss of plasticizers causing brittleness.  This can be slowed considerably by treating, on a regular basis, with vinyl/rubber conditioners to replace these plasticizers (same for vinyl covered dashes etc).  You chemists on the list what say you?