UPS delivery, FedEx too

Not sure what the policies are in your part of the world, but UPS has delivered to my residence many times during the day, leaving the part in a safe place, and then leaving.  When I was working nights, if I didn't make it to the door, they left a tag on the door, put the part in the carport (as noted on the tag on the door), and left.  I recently sent some car show awards to their recipients via FedEx, one lady said that she heard the door bell ring and then the truck was leaving as she got to the door.  As production is one of their main job performance criteria, those extra minutes to wait around for a person to answer the door are critical.

Not sure what your work situation is, but some employers might allow you to receive small packages at work with their prior approval and notificatioin PLUS the correct department you work in as part of the shipping address.  There's also a "signature required" line on the FedEx shipping manifest too, that would need to be "checked" just as an insurance measure to see who signed for it in these situations too.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune and highly regret that it happened.  In any traffic situation, intimidation can be issues.  Younger drivers have typically been blamed for many of the things they do, even when WE were in that age group--some deserved it and others didn't.  If anyone's driving a big, older, and somewhat unusual vehicle that weighs more than about 4000lbs, additional care should be exercised in how it's driven in traffic BUT not be intimidated by other vehicles of any type.  Those drivers might not like what THEY are having to do, but they'll adjust or pay the price.

Of course, driving with the flow of traffic in a sane manner in our older cars is necessary and a safe way to do things too.  If that can't be done, then alternative routes might need to be investigated.  Doesn't matter who the driver is, if they're driving slower than the 80% rule of the flow of traffic, they can be more of a hazzard to the safety of others and themselves than "being careful" is worth.

With all due respect, I know that many like to drive their older/collector cars on a daily basis.  There are some benefits to that, but as mentioned many other times, evolving and growing traffic patterns can cause more stressfull rises in the personal "oil pressure" in the long run.  The downside would be the hail storm that came through Fort Worth many years ago one early May afternoon.  The day looked great in the morning and just the type of day to take an older car out and to work.  Sure, there was a small chance of rain that afternoon, still nothing to get excited about at that time.

What came through about 4pm was much more intense as its intensity built during the day.  If you didn't monitor the weather at work, you didn't know.  End result, massive hail that left many cars looking like rolling golf balls.  All of those neat looking newer hatchback coupes were basically convertibles with targa tops when it was done.  There was more hail during that time frame, but it was highly regional with as little as 1/4 mile in location making huge differences in what fell from the sky.

It's been my orientation for quite some time that what you drive on a daily basis needs to be somewhat expendable and/or have a ready supply of parts in the salvage yards or via reproduction vendors--strictly reality issues to me.  There are many Chrysler products that might fit those orientations in many respects, but only the newer ones (i.e., expendable).

This whole subject is one that relies mainly on the judgment calls of the respective owners--period.

Just some thoughts,
W Bell