Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2004 5:45 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Engine Oil Brand

> have a question. What BRAND of oil does everyone
> prefer and/or recommend? I have a 1970 LeBaron 4 Dr.

Here's my 2 cents, and I say this with the disclaimer
that there are probably as many oil and filter
routines as there are people on this list.  I'm sure
somebody out there mixes in a flake of saffron into
their oil and does a hindu chant.  Whatever.

I don't use synthetic, #1 because it costs a ton and
#2 because I don't think the benefits for my 67
iMperial are that much more than using a good
conventional oil.  Synthetic oils leak more, so unless
you have a newly redone engine with nice, tight seals,
you will find more leakage.  This may not be a major
concern- heck, you may even appreciate the perpetual
front chassis lube.  But, your oil consumption will
increase as a result.  I have also HEARD (and take
this with a grain of salt) that synthetic oils do not
cling to metal parts as well as conventional oils, so
cold starts can be more damaging, esp with engines
with large clearances.  The newer synthetics may not
have this problem.

Bottom line: I would use synthetic in a new car or
with a rebuilt engine.  Maybe I would use it also if,
like D^2, I drove my Imp like a bat out of h*ll every
time I took it out.  Otherwise, I'd stick with Dino
oil.  Personally, I use Catrol 10W-30, or 20W-50,
depending on the engine and the conditions.  I change
oil once in the spring and once in the fall,
regardless of miles, and I usually only have 3000 or
4000 miles MAX between changes on my old cars.  My
Imperial has only a tick over 51,000 miles, so 10W-30
goes in at the fall change, and 10W-30 in the spring
change but I top off with 20W-50 during the summer and
10W-30 in the winter.  I like Napa/Wix filters the
best but the Purolator Pure1's are decent too, based
on some testing I have read on them.  I stay away from
Fram.

I also have a Volvo 122 that I use 20W-50 in all the
time, as it has 200,000+ miles and smokes a bit, and
the oil pressure sometimes gets low.

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

One point eight litres