title troubles? should be relatively easy

title troubles? should be relatively easy

I've purchased two cars in my life that had no title,
but both were over 25 years old.  Still an '82 should
not be much of a deal...the DMV is particlarly
interested in reducing fraud in new cars that are
likely to be stolen and flipped for profit.  I doubt
any fool would snatch even a cherry '82 Imperial such
as this one with the hope of big $$.

What I did in NY was get a form from the DMV called a
"Statement of Fact" which basically asks for all the
history of the vehicle you can come up with.  A bill
of sale is a must.  Call your DMV, I have found them
to be usually pretty helpful.  Occassionally I've run
into a few problem employees who think they are
graphologists or private sleuths and will try to
discredit any documents you might have.  Just go back
a different day and see one of the (more prevalent)
apathetic rubber stamp types.

My dad works for NYS and has friends in the DMV...this
was helpful for a car I bought out of state sans title
to be registered in NY.  Befriending a local mechanic
will help too- they usually have contacts at Motor
Vehicle.  As with everything, its not what you know,
but WHO you know.

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

One point eight litres