Pulling Engines

Even though I do own an engine hoist, however it is somewhere in my storage container out here. The following is a method I have chosen and has proven to work a number of times.
From my local hardware store I have purchased some rather large chain and grade 5 nut and bolts to fit through the chain link(s).
Being careful not to break off any important parts connected to the motor I route the chain around the engine and loop the chain at the top. I use the nuts and bolts of course to close the loop. I repeat the process until I am satisfied I am supporting the engine appropriately (all things considered)
Myself I open the doors to my storage container and use a heavy 4 inch pipe over the opened doors and hoist the engine up from there.
Fortunately this method has proven to work a number of times and I would imagine is the least expensive method available to me.
A very heavy and strong beam could be used if you have a place that will indeed support the weight of the trans and engine. No matter what my suggestion is to have some help there during the removal to stabilize the engine and so on.

Regards,
Patrick Williams
High Desert, Southern California
57 Studebaker Golden Hawk