Chrysler Corp. Pattern of Behavior

I'm too young to have experienced that pattern firsthand but I have
heard about it.  I've often wondered why it occured, or why it was
allowed to occur.  Part of the problem may be that, when you're making
a big sweeping change and going into untested territory there are more
mistakes to be made.  Or it may be some aspect of the internal corp.
structure or "culture" of Chrysler.  I don't know.  I think for the
most part they were able to produce quality cars but at certain times
they slipped and the moments they slipped just happened to be the
moments where they really could've made a good impression and didn't.

But they had triumphs, too.  The guy I know who used to work at
Chrysler was showing me a Dart that he owned and pointed out that the
door and body panels had, I think, five creases in them (in the middle
there is a raised section which has fairly sharp creases in it).
Apparently, this was the largest number of creases that any
manufacturer had put in a piece of sheetmetal at the time (this was on
a '68 Dart) and he was extremely proud of it because apparently it
takes a lot of engineering to stamp a piece of metal with that many
creases and still have the panels fit.  (I don't know why; maybe
because of shrinkage?)

Anyway, I think I lot of Chrysler's successes were like this one:
impressive to the industry but totally lost on the customer, who
probably had no idea of the difficulty involved.

Mark