67-68 Transition Years

In '67 the Imperial shared many styling cues with the New Yorker?

Could you tell me which ones?

I hate to seem to be picking on you, but the '67 Imperial and the '67
New Yorker had TOTALLY different styling, despite sharing similar
bodies.  In my opinion they shared virtually no styling cues, unless
you're thinking of dual headlamps.  Their proportions are similar, yes,
that's true-- both are a "3 box" design" with the greenhouse, or
passenger compartment, placed squarely in the middle, but other than
that they are like night and day.

The 1967-68 Imperial had convex body panels-- meaning they curved or
bowed outward from the center when viewed in cross-section.  The
1967-68 Chryslers had concave body panels-- meaning they bowed inward
from the center.  Incidentally, the 67-68 Chryslers are among the only
cars ever made with concave body panels (I would say they are the only
ones made, but I'm sure somebody on this list knows of some other cars
with concave bodies!).  This was a very radical thing at the time, and
from what I've heard, difficult to produce.  It was certainly a look
that, like it or not, set every Chrysler off from any other car being
produced at the time (all Ford, GM, and AMC products had convex body
panels).  In addition, the Imperial had trim running down the full
length of the car which distinguished it from the Chryslers.

If you look at the fronts of these cars there are very few similarities
(again, with the exception of dual headlamps).  The 67 Imperial has a
very distinctive and intricate grille combining body-colored sheetmetal
with stamped brightwork (I think it was stamped) that is unlike any
other car in the Chrysler line-up-- or any other car being made by any
manufacturer in 1967, for that matter.  The 68's dropped the sheetmetal
but continued to use a similar shaped grille and had a bumper with a
dropped center to it and wraparound turning lamps-- again, totally
different from the Chrysler line.

All the Chryslers of these years (with the exception of the 300) had a
front end featuring a long, slim, rectangular box design framing a
recessed grille.  The grille came to a point in the center of the car
when viewed from overhead.  This design was echoed in the rear, which
featured the same box shape framing a recessed grille (in the case of
the NYer) and 2 taillights placed in a panel that comes to a point (in
the case of the Newport).

The Imperial had a totally different treatment.  The front was NOT
replicated, or echoed, in the rear-- the rear was unique to the
Imperial and consisted of 2 vertical "bumperettes" standing aside a
seemingly continuous taillight divided in the middle by one big
circular eagle/gas tank/turbine looking thingamabob.  The back end of
an Imperial didn't look anything like the back end of a Chrysler, or a
Caddy, or a Lincoln.  In fact, if you wanted to make a criticism of it,
I would say its problem was it looked TOO different.

The rooflines were very similar, I guess that's true.  The amount of
glass in both the Chrysler & Imperial was similar (unless you count the
LeBaron's smaller rear window).  You can definitely say "these cars
belong to the same family"--  but you could say the same thing about an
67-68 Oldsmobile 98 and a 67-68 Caddy.  (I think Ford did a better job
of setting its luxury line off against Mercury-- there are some
similarities, but it's hard to mistake the 2.)

In my opinion there were plenty of styling cues to distinguish the
Imperial from the Chrysler, and everything else on the road, too.

Again, no hostility here-- I just love these cars and enjoy the debate!
  Your comments are appreciated.

Mark M