BELTS

Hello,
    Here's a general question, even though it's about
my 78 NYB.  When I replace my timing chain, various
belt-driven items have to come off first.  Is there
some trick to R/R these devices besides having a
helper with muscles put tension on the item's belt
while I mount the item?  When I put back a power
steering pump on my '67 Dodge, I had no helper and the
process was painful.  (Couldn't't get the bolts
started with the belt in place, etc).  I actually
ended up mounting studs in the pump to hold it in
place while starting nuts on the end of the studs,
replacing the original bolts.  Any tips from
mechanical gurus?

Thanks
Bruce S
69 Imp coupe