the moderns

Much of the reason for that is that the average customer is not a car
enthusiast, so they don't care for character or styling.  Also, they don't plan
to keep the new car for very long, so they don't care for quality of materials.
 The US industry in particular has sunk compared to the competition, primarily
I believe because the comanies are not run by engineers as it used to be, but
by bean counters and MBA's with little to no technical knowledge.

D^2