70 Imp

Jerry,

Welcome to the list. I'm pretty sure your water pump should be blue like the
block.

As to why it would have been changed with only 29,000 miles on the clock,
let me assure you that this is quite normal for a super-low-mileage car.
Cars that sit for a long time tend to need as much, if not more, repair and
replacement of things that require lubrication or handle fluids than cars
that are driven regularly. Simply put, seals and bearings and such dry out
with disuse.

I have a 17,000-mile 1978 New Yorker Brougham and a 125,000-mile 1967
Imperial. The '67 has more original parts on it that still function
perfectly than the '78 does. When I got the NYB, its years of minimal use
(including sitting for months at a time, from what I can gather) meant I
needed to replace the water pump, most of the A/C components, radiator,
steering pump and gearbox and rear diff due to leaks. Since acquiring the
car in 1999, I've been religious about frequent exercise drives (bringing it
fully up to temperature and taking it on a good highway run for 30 minutes
or so) every 6-8 weeks. And I change all the fluids based on time, not
mileage (I've only put 1,000 miles on the car since '99)... that includes
coolant and brake fluid every two years.

Once you get everything "dialed in," I heartily recommend periodic exercise
to keep the car feeling as young as its odometer and outward appearance
suggest... You'll both enjoy it!

Chris in LA

IMP7T@xxxxxxx (IMP7T@xxxxxxx) wrote:

It seems odd that the pump had been changed, since the car only has 29,000
miles on it.