Even at This Late Date

John: You misread my comment. The last thing I had in mind was an argument.

There was an opportunity for persuasion (or education, as we might label
it), that's all. And, apparently, it was missed.

Some young counter actually will listen, especially if the subject is cars,
even though they think they know what they like, and don't like.

Currell (1953 Imperial Custom)