Dash pad on 1955 Imp

I have read the various discussions on the dash pad removal in the Imp Owners  Web site but am still confused. The build date on the car is April 1955 but it has a pad that defies removal from the car without removing the windshield or so it appears to me. It also is made in two pieces connected at the center. Can anyone who has had the experience enlighten me on the pad removal strategy?

Thanks

roger2382

"55 Imp Newport