driveshaft center bearing

I keep an extra housing on hand, and purchase any that I see available from
swap meets if they are reasonable. I currently have one good one as a spare for
all of my Imperials (as long as they are the same). The bearing is easy to get,
but the rubber in the housing will eventually come apart allowing the drive
shaft to bang on the floor under acceleration. I believe that the housing can
be refurbished, and that you could most likely purchase a used one from Bob
Hoffmeister at Imperial Heaven. I also believe that they are the same for many
years.

The bearing itself went bad on my parents '60 when it was two years old. It
made a loud squeeling noise and was easily repaired. I just had the one in  my
'63 replaced last summer. The housing had gone bad, and I fortunately found a
new one at a swap meet for $70.00 a couple of years ago. I don't know the name
of a resource for repairing the old housing, but I bet that there is a
reference to it in the website for the club.

Replacing the center bearing assembly is a snap.

Paul