A/C system oil

Phil,

This is definitely the great unknown when servicing an A/C system and
I've been struggling with it for years.

Theoretically, a properly operating system will circulate oil
continuously throughout the system.  Some manufacturers have released
specs on how much oil pools in each component after shutdown but these
are only approximate values.

At the other extreme, manufacturers recommend a full oil charge be added
if the system vents catastrophically (as in a front end collision where
a hose/line breaks open).

Unfortunately, neither of these conditions apply for about 90% of the
A/C systems I've serviced.

If you got no oil out of the old compressor I'd add the full capacity to
the system before recharging.  I've always erred on the high side when
doing this operation and never had a problem.  Some of the faulty R-12
A/C systems I serviced over 10 years ago are still going strong.

Do drain all the oil out of the old compressor, though, since the
shipping charge can be many times more than a normal full charge.

My .02
Pete in PA