Sent: November 03, 2003 10:16 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Looking for 1953 Imperial Shocks

One other thing you may want to consider, I know on my old 54 New Yorker Deluxe, the rear shocks for a 60-66 Valiant were a direct swap . Both the length and the fittings on the end were the same, which was a hoop with a bushing on each end, IIRC.
I expect that the rear suspension on a 53-54 Imperial would be the same as a similar year New Yorker, so this may be worth a try. You could even take one of your old shocks with you to one of those parts stores like Western Auto or something similar, check the number on the newest possible interchange, then compare, just to be sure.
Rear shocks usually aren't as difficult to interchange as say , front shocks where they have to be fitted thru the control arms on occasion, and if the diameter is thicker than original, they won't fit.
Phil <><