LeBaron vs Custom and Crown

Title: Re: IML: LeBaron vs Custom and Crown
Kurt,

I think it's important to take Bill's highly accurate postings in the proper context. When he said LeBarons were of a higher grade of materials, he simply meant that they were generally trimmed to a higher level befitting, well, a higher trim level. Surely not every single trim piece might be perceived of a higher material quality (some were just different... I, for one, did not find the simulated woodgrain trim in the exterior drip rail trim of the '67 LeBarons "better" than the clean simplicity of the Crown's stainless steel trim, but I get the idea of Bill's post).

I know of no more accurate resource to the IML on historical matters than Bill. He's been generous and gentlemanly with his vast and deep knowledge.

While your comments are correct and your personal opinions are valid, Bill's general clarification was quite correct in that the primary difference in the LeBarons, Crowns and Customs as they rolled off the same production line in any given year was that of trim level.

I am sure no offense was intended, and knowing Bill's style, none taken, so this is not intended to sound that way (so sorry if it does, but please trust that it's not meant to!). I just didn't want the details of individual elements of each trim level to cast doubt on the postings of this very helpful member of our community. I'm sure if you look at his comments in the broad sense you'll find yourselves in agreement. The details, and the appreciation thereof, are entire up to each of us as individual Imperial lovers. (And since you own one of each, you can love them equally, even if for different reasons!)

Thanks,
Chris in LA

Kurt Arends (Partheniaburke@xxxxxxx) wrote:

Bill,
Your comments in regard to  the LeBaron, Crown, and Custom do not always hold true.  I own a '59 Crown Southampton and a '59 LeBaron 4-door sedan.  The only difference between the exterior of a ''57 through '59 Crown and Custom was the little gold crowns above the eagle on the leading edge of the fenders on the Crown.  There were no other exterior trim differences.  The interior of the LeBaron was not necessarily of higher quality than the Crown, it was simply more formal in appearance.  My '59 Crown has full leather interior and the same swivel seats that were an option on the LeBaron.  Where the Crown had bright chrome on the door panels, the LeBaron had wood grain (applique).  If you want to talk quality of materials,  the wide chrome mouldings on the door panels of the Crown is definitely of higher quality than the applied faux woodgrain on the door panels of the LeBaron.  I personally prefer the door panels on my Crown over my LeBaron.  The interior on the Crown might appear "sportier"? than that of the LeBaron during that period.  The Custom's interior is definitely more "New Yorker like" in appearence.
Kurt Arends
'59 Crown Southampton
'59 LeBaron sedan