Was this vapor lock??

Started the 66 today and drove it over to a friends to return his Freon sniffer.  The car cranked a while because it had been sitting so while I was visiting I let it run.  It was still on high idle.  We talked for maybe 10-15 minutes when I noticed the idle dropped to normal.  That's odd I thought.  About a minute later it died.  The gas guage showed half full and I believe it to be accurate.  The transparent fuel filter showed empty.  My buddy had some gas so I put a couple gallons in it and cranked.  Nothing showed up in the fuel filter.  We then injected some gas into the carb and it started right up but nothing on the filter.  We then filled up the fuel bowls in the carb and it started and we started seeing gas AND a LOT of bubbles in the filter.  There was enough gas that it kept running and finally cleared up.

The car had idled on a hot 90degree 90% day for about 15 minutes with the hood down.  Considerable heat was in the engine compartment but the motor was no where near overheated.  I THINK my gas guage is accurate and have had no problems like this before.

Could this have been a simple case of vapor lock?.  Low gas flow due to idle condition with the metal gas line running pretty close to the exhaust?

I've had the sending unit out a couple times while replacing the float and noticed no rust or trash on the intank pickup filter.

I guess I'm thinking the fuel pump if not vapor lock but the fuel pump is only a few months old.  However it is an autozone pump so we all know how high quality that is <g>!

KerryP
Patch panels fabricated
Pinkertonk@xxxxxxxxx
dte.net/57imperial
Imperials -- 50 Limo, 57 roadster, 61's, 62, 68 Convert, 73, a 66 300 and a bunch of lesser marques