Top well color (slightly long)

Hello All,

First, I want to thank everyone for replying to my question regarding the correct top well color.  I am humbled that enough of our IML members were interested enough to respond to my request for help.  When some of our members are really in a jamb with mechanical problems and need some major advice, my question seems somewhat unimportant in comparison.  Again, thank you all for your suggestions.

Russell and I only joined the IML last year yet we have been working on this car in fits and starts since it was purchased in '96.  We had no one to ask such questions before and had to sort of "fly by the seat of our pants" down here in L.A. (lower Alabama) until we became members of this great club.  When we purchased the Sierra Sand top, the underside ended up being almost an exact match to an engine color (spray paint from NAPA) known as Cummins Beige.  The black top bows (I guess factory) looked absolutely awful (to us) against the sandy beige of the underside of the top.  So we sanded and prepped the bows and painted them the Cummins Beige.  Chrysler may not have offered it in '65,  but the Sierra Sand top certainly looks better against the bows painted beige rather than black.  So maybe, given this alteration (made prior to joining the IML), the top well should be the same color as the top.  It may "cost me points" at a judged show, but that is not the reason I am restoring this car.  I want it to be as beautiful and to run as well as it possibly can and I want to breathe new life into it and make it the show piece it was when new.  If my ultimate choice for the well (still unsure at this point) is not exactly what Chrysler did in '65, I hope not too many of you will chastise me when you see the car at a meet or other event.  After all, everyone's taste is different.

I appreciate everyone's advice and at some point this summer or fall, I will have to make a decision.  Until then, I will give it more thought and hopefully will arrive at the right decision.

Greg McDonnell
'65 Crown convert (that may end up being a little "customized"