Radios

If you want it to work like it did when it was new, almost any competent
repair shop can do that for you - I used to do so for friends, but I retired
years ago.

If you want it to work like a new one (note slight change in wording),
you'll have to have it converted to modern innards, with quartz lock tuning,
low noise front end, digital display, stereo audio system etc.   Many of the
shops you noticed in Hemming's also do this work, but it is more expensive.

What's the difference, you ask?   The older technology FM radios do not have
the stability to lock on a station and stay there over hill and dale, they
do not reject multipath distortion (Donald Duck voices when you pass
buildings or mountains), and they cannot lock on extremely weak signals such
as those in areas more than 100 miles from the transmitter, and they have no
"capture" technology, which allows them to lock onto one station even though
a signal from another station is bleeding into the same channel.  The result
is very unsatisfactory operation of the FM section unless you live within 50
miles of the transmitter, and never move the car.

The difference for AM operation is smaller, but still annoying, because the
older technology will drift off the station due to vibration or temperature
effects, giving you distorted audio at times, and they are harder to tune
accurately.

Dick Benjamin (who used to design these critters, and now lives 120 miles
from the nearest station!)