Mark's low temp gauge

>Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 16:52:35 -0500
>From: Mark McDonald <tomswift@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: IML: low temp gauge
>It was a nice day here in NW Florida, so I took the '68 convertible out
>and while I was driving I noticed that the temp gauge never came up to
>the normal position, which is around the center of the gauge.  It
>hovered around 1/4 of the way over from the left-- not even in the
>little "boxed" area on the gauge that gives you the normal range.
>
>I drove the car long enough for it to warm up, and it's 87 degrees down
>here.  The last time this happened on a car of mine the thermostat was
>bad and the car overheated.  What could be causing the gauge to stay so
>low?
>
>Thanks, Mark

Mark,

I just replaced the thermostat on my 1990 Le Baron.  Did the same thing
(most of the winter actually).  The thermostat was stuck wide open and
coolant flowed continuously.  That's an easy way to check if it's stuck
open.  When the engine is cold, open the radiator cap and have someone
start the car and look to see if coolant starts to flow the minute the
engine starts.

(My wife drives the Le Baron and didn't say anything until winter was
almost over.  That explains why the defroster wasn't very good!)

Dan Wing
Marcy, NY  USA

imp1983@xxxxxxxx

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!