68 Dash/Bezel

The service manual scans would be a big help!
(I know that dashboards were invented to be installed, not removed)
Thank you for the compliments!

EdH
'68 LeBaron FDHT
http://homepage.mac.com/printbear/PhotoAlbum3.html

On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 06:29 PM, Dave Duricy wrote:

That's a handsome car, Ed.

Yes, there are specific instructions to remove the bezel and instrument
cluster from the '68 dash. I recently removed the bezel from my '68 Crown
convertible, and can send you scans of the '67 service manual that detail
the procedure.

It begins with removing the cover from beneath the steering column. Out
come the lower A/C ducts. Then down comes the steering column. Remove the
lower screws that hold the instrument bezel at the bottom. The upper screws
are visible just beneath the dashpad at the top. Place a protective
covering over the steering wheel before removing the bezel.

The "gotchya" in the procedure is the flexible A/C duct to the driver side
A/C vent. It's attached to the bezel by a screw, and really holds on. It is
a difficult thing to extend the fragile ducting far enough to clear the
dash pad to make space for the screwdriver. The shorter the driver the better.

Disconnect the various electrical connectors and you're home free.

The instrument cluster is then clear for removal. I've left mine in place
for now.

Dave
1968 Imperial Crown (convertible)
1973 Imperial LeBaron (4-door hardtop)