1990 Imperial Questions

Hi all

Thanks for all the warm greetings...

I just recently bought a 1990 Imperial that failed Va state inspection for its
brakes.  The Imperial has anti-lock brakes and when you press the pedal
the brake light and the anti-lock light comes on in the dash briefly.  The
inspection said that he could pass it because of this.  The brakes work
fine.  I look in the owners' manual and it states that if non OEM brakes are
used this would happen.  I called the inspector back and gave him this
message and he said that he still could not pass the car because the
pedal would bottom out when the pedal is first depressed (hence the
lights).  I drove the car to work today (85 miles on way) and the brakes
work fine the pedal is firm.  If the car sits, the condition returns ( I went
for a ride at lunch time).  I'm thinking about going straight to the inspector
on my way home (when the system is working flawlessly), but my luck
by the time he comes out to look at the car the system will act up again.

Any ideas or comments is greatly appreciated.
thanks
Allan