Carburetor Problem

What did Imperial 440s come with stock? I have heard people on this list
state that 750 is overcarbed for a 440 before, I can't say I believe it.
Did you try dealing with the metering rods, etc? I don't have experience
with big blocks in BIG cars, but I have a '70 hp 440 that came stock with a
750 cfm AVS. I don't think they overcarbed it at the factory.  I do
understand that for Imperial applications-heavy weight, low rpm cruiser,
automatic, low numerical rear gears-a smaller carb might be better, but a
750 doesn't seem excessive.
Please don't take offense at this and feel free to argue ;)
Rob