60 carrier bearing/ driveline issue

Hey all,

Last fall, Virgil started making a horrible rasping
sound from what seems to be the center drive line,
it's definitely not the brakes, rear end, or tranny.
So I figured that it must be the CC bearing.  Am I off
base on my assumption?

I am a bit intimidated by the whole thing since I will
be doing the work myself and I have never played
around with drive shafts of any stripe, much less one
that's double jointed, as it were.

Is there a way to tell if one needs to replace the
center carrier bearing only or if the housing is a
problem too before tearing it all apart?

I am trying to start planning my spring "coming out of
the barn" repairs and want to lineup the parts ahead
of time if possible, especially since it seems that
the housing is more often rebuilt that replaced.

Thanks

Timothy
1960 Custom Southampton 4DR, Cedar Green
"Virgil"