1967 with 1968 side markers

Just wondering on this side marker light thing.  Has anyone with
a 69 Imperial ever noticed that the rear side marker lights are
just reflectors and not wired for lighting.  I noticed this several
years ago when I thought my rear side lights were out and was going
to change the bulbs.  No bulbs no sockets no wire. The fronts are
wired and light up.  Just wondering why. Any thoughts?
Ed Noble
1969 Imperial
1971 Imperial
several other Mopars