1967 with 1968 side markers

Chris,

Thanks for confirming my memory on that.  I was pretty sure it was '68, but I
couldn't think of the actual number of that act, or standard.

As I understand it, the purpose of the side marker lights is to make cars more
visible from the side when they are in motion-- since, when a car is parked, it
usually doesn't pose much danger to anyone.  (Unless it's parked in the middle
of the road!)  But maybe they were thinking that if some kind of accident
occured and the car lost power and was sideways in the road, reflectors would
be better.  I guess you're right, they could have reflectors AND lights, but I'm
guessing that the few extra cents that would require was too much to add to the
cost of a vehicle (?).

As for Germany, I'm really surprised to hear that, because all the new VWs I've
seen have a light in the front fender just behind the wheelwell, which I think
is there to allow pedestrians to know when a vehicle is making a turn.  (This
is how it was explained to me; a pedestrian walking alongside a car or riding a
bike beside a car cannot see the turn signals at front or rear-- the side light
allows them to know the driver's intention to turn.)  Anyway, my point is, if
they're THAT safety conscious over there, why no side marker lights?  (Maybe
they don't have thre kind of highways we do where people can enter the roadway
from right angles to the direction of traffic??)

I mean, you really cannot see certain types of cars at night without those
lights.  Particularly older cars that have small taillights and don't have the
wraparound headlights.  The fenders conceal the headlights, and at certain
angles the cars just disappear.  Even the tiny lights on my 68s are kinda
small, in my opinion.  However, you can't miss the ones on my '71.

As for the high rear brake light, in some circles this is known as the "Dole
light" because it became law as a result of Sen. Bob Dole (I am pretty sure it
was him, and not his wife, although I know she was involved).  So here is more
proof that Sen. Dole did a few good things while he was in Washington!  :)

Getting back to Imperials, I have seen one '65 that had an aftermarket
reflector on its side that looked pretty decent and accurate for the "period"--
but all the other aftermarket stuff I've seen looks too modern to put on an old
Imperial.  Does anyone know of a manufacturer of old-fashioned looking
reflectors?  Probably not.  Well, I guess you could install some from a later
year on your older Imperial . . .

Mark