asbestos brake shoes

If they use Asbestos in light aircraft, there must be a strong advantage.
Also, 20 or 30 years ago they figured out that Asbestos is very toxic.
Hopefully, the brake dust from the Asbestos linings will be in low enough
concentration that will not harm the driver and your passengers (unless you
drive like me, where you often smell the brake linings burning!).  As it turns
out, a good percentage of dust in residential areas close to large highways
is ... brake dust!  So, the removal of asbestos from brake linings may have
been good for public health overall.

As for the increase in stopping distance.  Well, it might increase braking
effort, but I can't see why it will increase stopping distance (braking effort
may be more important in light aircraft, as they usually do not have brake
boosters).  Usually, the limitation in braking is traction between tires and
road, not friction between linings and rotors/drums.  As for the accelerated
wear, I have no reason to doubt your observation.

Asbestos is not the only material that works really great while happens to be
incompatible with public health.  Probably the best example of such a material
is lead in gasoline.  It works really great to raise the octane, and real
cheap.  Too bad it reduces mental abilities in children among other things!

D^2, that has never driven a car with Asbestos brake linings