Igntn convsn kit?

johan C wildhagen wrote:

> Im going to convert my points to an electronic system. I am looking for a
> kit. I have been having really bad luck finding one. Autozone told me to go
> to Chrysler. Chrysler told me to go to Mopar Performance. Morpar performance
> doesn't exist man! perhaps some one out there can steer me in the right
> direction.
>
> Tanks
> Johan
> 65 Lebaron
> Washington DC

     Sorry you've had some bad luck.  Mopar Performance
certainly does exist and offers a complete kit to install an
electronic distributor, electronic control box, and
compatible ballast resister in older Mopars.  The kit also
includes a wiring harness.  Generally the best prices are
available from Mancini Racing, Kollar Dodge, and the other
big boys who advertise in the Mopar magazines.  However, you
can order from your local Mopar dealer also and if you have
a contact in the parts department probably get a good
price.  The kit is offered in four versions, for four
different engine configurations; you'll of course need the
one for the 413-426-440 family.  The usual price for the
complete kit from the places I listed is $189.
     Another option is to assemble your own "kit" from
junkyard or aftermarket replacement parts.  You'll need the
electronic distributor, control box, and make your own
wiring (I can fax anyone the Mopar Performance kit
instruction diagram on request), or buy the Mopar
Performance wiring harness kit to make it a little easier
and neater.  The advantage to assembling your own is that
you can use a distributor with an ignition curve the same as
your stock points distributor, whereas the Mopar Performance
kit distributor has a quicker advance curve which possibly
could result in pinging in your engine depending on how you
set it up.
     A third possibility is the Pertronix Ignitor conversion
kit.  This installs in your stock distributor, and is
cheaper, generally being available for $75 or so from JC
Whitney, Summit Racing, and other suppliers.

--
Bill Parker, South Central Indiana
'62 Plymouth Max Wedge; '64 Dart Convertible (Kathi's car);