1969 wheelcover paint colors--white????

I have recently purchased a wonderful and original '69 Lebaron 4-door in gold with white leather and top.   The wheelcovers are painted white in the center and behind the vains which I first thought must be totally wrong.  After a very close inspection to sniff out paint color change, I am not certain this is not the way it left the factory.  A friends 69 has black behind the vains and in the center, but he has a silver with black top car.  Does anyone know if there was any variation in wheelcover painting in 69?  Is black actually the correct color for behind vains and center? Any chance of a spring edition in lighter, brighter colors?

John -- no longer sans Imperial