Lincoln "Imperial"

I really would like to know who in DaimlerChrysler made the statement that
Mercedes will not allow Chrysler to build anything to compete with their own
SUV.

Truth is, Chrysler does builds SUVs that compete head to head with Mercedes.
Here in North America the M-B ML-Class is more expensive than the Grand
Cherokee, but in Europe the two start at the same price level.  Simply a
matter of shipping and import duties that pad the prices going across the
Atlantic.  The Liberty, by the way, is sold over there as the Cherokee.

And how does one explain the Crossfire and Pacifica?  Both will be priced
more in the Mercedes range than in Chrysler's present market niche.  Truth
is, buyers just have not gone for luxury Mopar vehicles.  Chrysler could not
get the public to accept the Imperial, and the FWD Town & Country has not
been a best seller, even though it was the first of the luxury minivans.

The European press believes Mercedes will be using the Grand Cherokee
underpinings in the next generation ML 4x4.  And they see M-B using the
Caravan as the basis for a new Mercedes-Benz V-Class.  The present one is
generally seen as being too truck like, and is considered M-B's worst car.

Bill
Vancouver, BC