Mistaken identity

I was in a parade a few years ago, in the 58.  The script on the side is
highly stylized, so I can forgive anyone who sees the fairly clear IMP at
the beginning and the L at the end coming up with IMPALA.  I had the honor
of having my local club's magnetic sign on the side of the car, "Mopar
Muscle Club of San Antonio."  Some Einstein in the crowd sees the sign and
says loudly to his buddy, "Hey, look at that doofus.  He's got a MOPAR sign
on the back but he's driving an Impala."  It was a very long, slow moving
parade and we were on a narrow street.  I called him over to the car.  He
bound over, grinning madly.  I asked him to read the script again, now he
was closer.  "What the heck is an Imperial?," he asks.  "Whatever it is, it
sure ain't no Chevy," I replied.  "Wasn't no Chevy ever built this good,
look this good or run this good.!   It was built by Chrysler so I reckon
that makes this a Mopar after all, huh?"  We shook hands on our new mutual
awareness of the car's provenance.  "I shoulda known it weren't no Chevy.
My dad is a Plymouth man and so am I.  I didn't know they made these things.
too."

Hugh