Fair play/free market-Was:how classic dealers can get you:true stories

Fair play/free market-Was:how classic dealers can get you:true stories

Who gets to determine what is a "reasonable" markup?  I think the dealer
should have the right to determine his desired gross profit, he is the one
who knows his CODB.

Some cars need to be sold at a very high profit to make up for the cars that
tie up money for a long time before they sell.. at a low profit.

If the dealer asks too much, he will keep the car too long(or forever).  If
he makes too much profit -----  he can't!   There is no such thing.  If
selling price is controlled by the buying public, profit is controlled by the
costs of doing business, which the dealer can "try" to control.  If he makes
a high profit, he has earned a high profit.

If the dealer lies for any reason, he should go to jail.   If the customer
lies for any reason, he should go to jail, too.

It is WRONG to say that a customer can lie to a dealer because dealers have
earned themselves a bad reputation.  Many a totally honest dealer gets ripped
off with that erroneous line of thinking.

Customers lie to me, too.   I won't work on their vehicles too many times.
They need to find somewhere else.   Maybe I've deserve the lies because some
others in my field have lied.

Many things have the potential to hurt our hobby.  Animosity between car
lovers and mechanics, or classic dealers are one of them.

Imperially yours,

Jeff Ruffing
Not a dealer