advance & carbon was me&'73

Just a couple of things to add to D2's post:

>OK, do you mean "retard" here?  The more you advance (turn distributor
>clockwise from top) the more you tend to induce pinging.  Retarding slows
>down
>pinging but you may loose torque.  Too advanced could make the idle
>unstable.

I thought the same thing when I read this, but isn't it being advanced which
induces run-on?

>You would think that these deposits "help" since they raise your
>compression
>ratio.  Unfortunately, they usually raise the compression ratio of one or
>two
>cylinders only, and these are the ones that ping.

Also, I think the big problem is despite the raise in CR, it makes for
uneven "hot spots" in the chamber. Kind of like when there is left over
"flash". Not a good thing.

Rob