Exhaust system for '65 Crown convt.

> As I understand it (and will stand corrected if it is
> not so) the Chrysler big block does not need crossover
> pipes because blending of the exhaust pulses is
> accomplished within the engine manifolding.  I have an
> Imperial and a New Yorker with duals.  Neither has a
> crossover and both are nearly silent at idle with a
> quiet V8 throb - not the sound of two wheezing
> 4-cylinders, the reason for doing a crossover.

As you surmised, this does not make sense.  The manifolds only 'see' the
pulses on each bank.  The uneven firing pulses exist _bank-to-bank_ - IOW,
there is one point in the firing order where two cylinders on the same bank
must fire, one after the other.  This situation is inherent with any 90
degree V8.  Many manufacturers do not install crossovers for whatever
reasons (likely packaging space and cost).  But it does not change the basic
physics involved.

To get the sound of two four cylinder engines, you'd need a 180 degree (or
'flat') crank.  Great for NASCAR but very uncivilized on the street.

Best,

John