Fuel Pump Problem?

Here are some suggestions...

If the fuel pump was sitting for so long it should be rebuilt.  The
Antique Auto Parts Cellar should have a kit for your pump.

Maybe the carb is just starving for gas.  Are you sure the line filter,
lines or tank filter aren't partially clogged?  If you accelerate with a
cold engine and the car doesn't stumble that's a pretting good indication
there are no restrictions.

Make sure the fuel line fittings and hose clamps from the tank to the
pump are tight so you aren't sucking air into the fuel stream.

You can replace the metal line from the pump to the carb with a couple of
nipple fittings and a length of fuel hose.  The hose will insulate the
fuel and prevent it from boiling if vaporization is taking place in the
line.

John B.

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002 13:41:23 -0500 "Currell Pattie"
<currellpattie@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Here's the situation: My '53 Imperial, largely original with under
> 70K
> miles, sat in my garage from 1990 through 2002, run only twice, on
> consecutive days in '97, after a lot of work on my part. I recently
> had some
> work done on it by a master Chrysler restorer, including getting the
> motor
> running again. And it ran, after about a half hour of roughness at
> the shop,
> smoothly and quietly. The carb is newly rebuilt, by the way.
>
> But here's the problem: Driving it home in September in low 90
> degree
> weather, it "vapor locked" after about 10 miles of driving, and 6
> more times
> until I got it home, which was about a 20 mile trip. Each time, I
> would pull
> it off the road, let it sit for about 5 minutes, and it would easily
> start
> again, no sweat. Then, about 1.5 miles lately, just like clockwork,
> it would
> do it again. And over and over. I'd step on the gas, it would
> stumble, and
> then...nothing. This was scary, being in metro Detroit traffic. I
> even
> bought 2 pounds of ice at one stop, and packed it around the fuel
> pump, but
> I can't say that it helped. The power steering goes too, of
> course...This
> beat a workout at the gym, since I am more of the distance runner
> build (20
> marathons) than weightlifter!
>
> I was lucky to get it back home.
>
> A couple of weeks later, with the temps in the 70s, I drove it
> again. It
> went about 10 miles or so, maybe a bit longer, and it stopped again.
> This
> time I was pretty close to home, so I got it back OK. Started
> readily after
> the usual 5 minute wait.
>
> A third time, it was in the 50s or something. I only drove it less
> than 10
> miles, and no stalls.
>
> Is this definitely a fuel pump problem? If yes, is a rebuilt one to
> be
> avoided compared to a new one. Should I just punt and put in an
> electric
> one?
>
> Any opinions, advice, will be appreciated, and thanks in advance.
>
> Currell

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com