Hypothetical Vs. Actual Values(Was 55 Imperial not sold on Ebay)

Hypothetical Vs. Actual Values(Was 55 Imperial not sold on Ebay)

Every old car is worth $2500.  If it is a convertible, it will be worth a
thousand or two more.  Beyond that,it is pure emotion.  This muscle stuff is
99% hype and l% reality.  Most of us old curmudgeons know that when we
bought this stuff new it was between 3 and 4 thousand.  Heck, my Jag was
only 5,000.  OK, OK, inflation needs to be factored in, but I don't think
you can do that with cars.  Nope, it is what someone will pay, period.  Most
of us guys would not pay $2,500 for a nice diamond ring, but we would buy it
for the woman in our lives.  That's because we don't value stuff like that,
and we know the markup that jewelers make on this stuff.  The only time we
see inflated prices is on new models that are scarce, like when the Vipers
came out and some dealers were scalping them for 30,000 over sticker for the
egotists will to pay to have the first one in their territory.  Does not
apply to used cars.  Sorrry guys, be these are old used cars.  A good
analogy is antiques (old junk).  Would you give 500 bucks for an old pub
table if they are selling new knockoffs for 200?  Yes, some would.  The
other writer hit it on the head.  Some people can hide their emotional
my cars.  I love to price them where folks think they ought to be, knowing
full well that if I gave them the lowest, most rediculous price I could
dream up, they still wouldn't buy!  Try this one to prove my point.  Ask the
curious what they would give.  You will almost never get an answer.  The
reason being that most people don't even know what they are looking at.
Let's look at two old used cars:  l957 Chevy Bel Aire Convertible.  New,
maybe 35 to 3700, really loaded.  Know what?  It was a cheap, mediocre car
new, but why all the fuss?  Because back then, people made $l00 a week and a
3000 dollar car was out of their reach, especially if you were young and had
other obligations.  Next example:  l956 Imperial.  New, let's say $5,000.
Way out of reach for the average Joe.  But, back then, if you were like me,
you could buy one two years old for $2,000 while your friends bought new
fords and chevies for 3000.  Who had a better car?  No contest.