81 engine

OK, so your oil pump is working for sure, if it now pumps up some oil
pressure.   I forgot what you originally said about how much oil you have in
there, and what weight it is.    Seems like you have a marginal situation,
for sure, but if it is a little low on oil, and if the oil is pretty thin,
or maybe is taking a long time to drain back down into the pan after a run
due to partly blocked drain holes, maybe you don't have to right away rip it
apart.   It would sure be a good idea to put a real gauge on it, if only
temporarily, to see what is actually happening.  The oil warning light goes
out at 7 PSI, which the engine can run on for a while, but it should be
putting out at least 30 at idle, and more like 45 or 50 at road speed.  If
it isn't, something is badly worn, probably the bearings, or else the
pressure relief valve is stuck open.   The valve lifters are sort of the
canary in the mineshaft - when they start to clack, (other than momentarily
at startup) you know you are headed for serious trouble soon.   If you want
to do right by the car, first find out what the actual oil pressure is with
a real hydraulically operated gauge, then decide if you need to pull the pan
and inspect.  You don't need to get involved in the distributor drive shaft,
I don't think.  I believe you can just pull the oil pump down and check the
relief valve and pickup screen/float assembly, and check the pump itself for
wear.   A new oil pump will only cost about $30, plus your pan gasket, but
I'd sure take a look at a few bearings while I was in there.

I'll post this to the mailing list also, I hope you don't mind - there have
been a couple of other folks who are interested in this also, and this is a
situation that will happen sooner or later to everyone who is driving an old
car way beyond its design life.

Dick Benjamin