plastic and rust

>Alan, I have not done any statistics or anything, but I think that the
>area you
>live is a much bigger factor than the car and its rust proofing.  Where
>did you
>live in the 60's and 70's, and where do you live now?
>
>I visited Chicago and Detroit a few times, and I was shocked at the rust I
>saw
>in some relatively new cars.  Even thick chrome bumpers had holes right
>trough
>them.  Here in TX even 30 year old cars have little rust.  Unfortunately,
>my 68
>Sedan started life in New Hampshire, so some of its 1/4 panel rust is
>probably
>coming from the east coast.  Finally, I would think that the thicker sheet
>metal of older cars would resist corrosion better.  And Imperials along with
>other expensive cars had generally better rust proofing than the typical car.
----

Excellent point.  I lived for 50 years in Toronto.  They use huge piles of
salt on the roads in the winter.  I live in Kingston, Ontario, now.  That's
at the east end of Lake Ontario, where the St. Lawrence River starts.  I
haven't noticed salt on the roads here, but I think they do use it on the
401 expressway, which runs right through the north end of the city.

I drive into Toronto and see rusty vehicles all the time.

=============

I think the thing that has changed is our perception.  In the 50's & 60's,
>"quality" meant something different than it does today.  At that time,
>"heavy,"
>"thick," and "big" meant quality.  Now "light," "thin," and "small" equates to
>quality.  There has been a revolution in our thinking, led in part by
>marketing
>and in part by advances in engineering.
>
>If you are "old school," which is what I guess I tend to be, you look at
>today's
>cars and think "flimsy" and "cheap" (to some extent).  If you are "new
>school,"
>you look at an old Imperial and think "cool," but "low tech,"
>"inefficient," or
>"wasteful."
>
>Well, I don't know if everyone born after 1980 thinks that (obviously not the
>ones on this list!) but you get the idea . . .
>
>Merry Christmas,
>Mark

----

Another excellent point.  My niece was here yesterday for a visit.  She has
a new car and her boyfriend is driving a junker.  I pointed out a nice 1979
Buick Lesabre in real nice shape for Cdn$2000, and suggested that her
boyfriend should get something like that.

She was aghast that I would suggest that he drive an OLD car (same year as
she was born).  I pointed to my 76 NYB and told her it runs as good as it
looks (it looks great).  Her attitude is that OLD = CRAP (and old means
more than 5 years).

Alan Harper
64 Mercury 3/4 ton flatbed
69 Dodge D100 pickup